Bank Negara Malaysia today announces the issuance of the new design RM50 banknote from 15 July 2009. This new design of RM50 banknote is the first denomination of the Fourth Series of Malaysian currency notes which will be replacing the existing series in stages.
The earlier new design of RM50 banknote was issued in December 2007 to commemorate Malaysia’s 50th Anniversary of Independence. This current series will no longer have the logo of the country’s golden jubilee celebrations and will have, enhanced security features.
The enhanced security features incorporated in this new design of RM50 banknote are:
* The Colour Shifting Security Thread which replaces the existing security thread and is embedded in the paper. The thread appears on the reverse side of the note as coloured intermittent lines. When held against light, it is seen as a continuous dark coloured line and the repeated text of BNM RM50 can be read. When the note is tilted, the colour of the thread changes from red to green and vice versa. Under ultra-violet light, the repeated text of BNM RM50 will fluoresce yellow and the thread is seen as a continuous fluorescent yellow line when the banknote is viewed from the obverse.
* The Two-Coloured Fluorescent Elements is an additional invisible printed feature on the reverse of the note. Under ultra-violet light, a complex design two-colour numeral 50 will fluoresce.
The existing security features which are designed for public verification remains as follows:
* The Watermark Portrait can be recognised by tints that are lighter or darker than the surrounding paper. This watermark portrait which has a three-dimensional effect appears without sharp outlines. At the base of the watermark, the numeral 50 is clearly visible.
* Perfect See-Through Register features the songket design on the obverse and reverse of the banknote when it is held against the light.
* Invisible Fluorescent Elements of the background on the obverse and reverse of the banknote which fluoresces in different colours under ultra-violet light.
* Micro-Letterings of “BNM RM50” which can be viewed under a magnifying glass.
* Holographic Stripe features the numeral 50 and hibiscus flower.
* Multicolor Latent Image where the numeral 50 is visible when the banknote is tilted slightly and changes colour when it is rotated.
* Anti-Scanner feature in which certain design cannot be captured by scanning machines.
* Braille Feature for the visually impaired.
The new RM50 banknote, thus incorporates various modern and innovative security features principally aimed at deterring counterfeiting. Members of the public are advised to take note of the security features and design outlined above. The existing design series of the RM50 banknote will continue to remain legal tender and will co-circulate with the new RM50 banknotes as the former are gradually phased out. No time limit has been set on the duration of co-circulation.
Further information on the new RM50 banknote can be obtained from Bank Negara Malaysia’s website at http://www.bnm.gov.my. Members of the public can also contact Bank Negara Malaysia at the following contact points:
BNMTELELINK (Customer Service Call Centre)
BNMLINK (Customer Service Walk-In-Centre)
Block D, Bank Negara Malaysia,
Jalan Dato’ Onn, 50480, Kuala Lumpur
(Business hours: Monday-Friday, 9.00 am – 5.00 pm)
Bank Negara Malaysia
15 July 2009
Filed under: UMUM | Tagged: Bank Negara Malaysia Issues New Design RM50 Banknote |